Friday, January 07, 2005

Epiphany Greetings

Today is the day following the actual Feast of the Ephiphany, so we are now in Epiphanytide. (A former pastor of mine was big on keeping the "tides" in the calendar -- Christmastide, Eastertide. I like it and him, so I emulate.)I wish you health, enlightenment, nourishment, confidence, good wine, happy relationship, and all other good things.

OK, I know that I risk being sued by the Bruderhof for all the use I make of their daily e-mails, one of which appears below. So to assuage my guilt, if not their attorney, I offer this suggestion: Why not subscribe to "The Daily Dig" ? It's a short reflective clipping from an important Christian (and sometimes, nonchristian) that is sent free and every day to your e-mail. It also links you to other resources, including complete books that you can download onto your computer and read at your leisure (which makes then cheaper than the bound copies you can buy in bookstores -- and yes, it's legal; they own the copyright). Check it out here.

Now for today's snippet, from Soeren Kierkegaard:


Only a Rumor


Søren Kierkegaard

Although the scribes could explain where the Messiah should be born, they remained quite unperturbed in Jerusalem. They did not accompany the Wise Men to seek him. Similarly we may be able to explain every article of our faith, yet remain spiritually motionless. The power that moved heaven and earth leaves us completely unmoved.

What a contrast! The three kings had only a rumor to go by. But it spurred them to set out a long, hard journey. The scribes, meanwhile, were much better informed, much better versed. They had sat and studied the scriptures for years, like so many dons. But it didn’t make any difference. Who had the more truth? Those who followed a rumor, or those who remained sitting, satisfied with all their knowledge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting me onto this source! I've seen other references occasionally, and decided that your post was the final "sign" I needed to sign up.

Julesrud