Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The World in a Wafer

I have commended William Cavanaugh to you before. He teaches theology at the University of St. Thomas in Saint Paul, MN, and he is simply one of the most thoughtful, heart-y, challenging theologians on the modern scene. He has published his doctoral dissertation (written under Stanley Hauerwas, so you know I love it!) as Torture and Eucharist. It's a phenomenal and fascinating book -- destined to become a classic in liturgical studies, if you ask me.

He has written, too, "The World in a Wafer: A Geography of the Eucharist as Resistance to Globalization." It is another remarkable reflection which I offer as another in the series of reflections on the wide meaning of the Eucharist in the life of the Christian Church. I can only retrieve the article in .pdf, so I'm providing only the link, and I resist commenting on the piece. I await your comments.

Of course, if some0ne wants to draw the connections between this exercise in eucharistic theology and some of the writings of Wendell Berry, I won't complain at all.

No comments: